Sunday, July 03, 2005

From the Field -- 6 - from Ken

From: Ken
Sent: Jul 3, 2005 3:03 PM
Subject: From the Field -- 6

Where has the time gone? I can't believe we have only one week left.

On the one hand, it seems like we have been here forever. And on the other hand, it seems like we just arrived.

When it concerns my family, friends, and all things familiar, it seems like we have been here a mighty long time -- forever and a day, as they say. I suppose we have been. We've been here long enough that I'm not even bothered by Sergei's driving anymore. For those of you not familiar with Sergei, we affectionately call him
"Geritol."

If your blood was tired when you got into his car, it will sure be pumping when you get out.

And I confess, I would sure like to give my wife and my grandkids a big hug. Oh -- and my kids, too. (That was said just for the benefit of my kids, so they will have something to fuss about.) But there is still much left to be done here.

On the other hand, we have been so busy that time seems to have flown by. Since our team is smaller this year, we do have a little more down time -- but certainly not enough to bring on boredom. I preach to the pensioners every morning and have a Bible study every other afternoon while taking food and comfort to shut-ins on the opposite afternoons. Gary, Art, and Debbie minister to the children every morning, and they also visit shut-ins in the afternoon.

This morning (Sunday) we fellowshipped with our brothers and sisters at the Gospel Church of Yessentuki, where we shared Communion with them. It was wonderful to sing "This Is the Day That the Lord Has Made" and a few other familiar praise songs with them. Their Russian words and our English words blended into a sound that was pleasant to hear, and I'm sure the Lord felt that way. We're going back to Yessentuki this evening to have a special service by the lake, to have an outreach program for those who are unchurched and possibly unbelievers.

We have also fellowshipped in different homes nearly every evening. We sometimes need to divide up in order to fill all the requests. Our hosts just want to chat with us, tell of their many problems and difficulties, as well as ask questions which they feel sure that we, being Americans, will have all the answers. We are honored to have so many friends here, and they always put much more food on the table than we can possibly consume in three meals. We are told that they will sacrifice food for themselves in order to serve us. It is touching. We leave a little gift of money in a gift bag to help pay for the meal. It's the least we can do.

I hit the wall along toward the end of last week. It seems like all my energy and emotion had been spent, but I've since gotten my second wind. Just pray that we, like the Apostle Paul says, can finish the race the way we began.

The police have really been out in force the last few days. It seems like there was a terrorist attack in Takestan, a country not far from here. It is in the Caucasus Mountains, but far enough that there is no real threat in Kislovodsk. In a Police State like Russia, whenever you see a lot of police, they are usually more of a harrassment than a protection. But when they learn that we are Americans, they usually let our driver pass through the barricades with little more than a cursory search of his trunk or a cautious appraisal of the passengers. No problem. Just part of living and serving in Russia. I'm sure happy I'm not dark complected, though.

So far, there has been no illness. Spirits are high, and God is in control.

I send my love from old Mother Russia,

Ken





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?