Monday, June 27, 2005

Preevyet from Kislovodsk - from Debbie


From: Debbie Zimmer
Date: June 27, 2005 4:06:02 AM CDT
To: goffybysea@yahoo.com
Subject: preevyet from Kislovodsk


Gary and I are in the Internet Cafe. This is the first chance we've had to write. Tom, Ken does not have his computer here. The trip over was long but broken up by a stop in Wash. DC and Munich. We spent the day there at the Sheraton. At least 3 stars. Wandered thru the village and with what little German I know managed to get something to eat. A prayer was answered already. We were walking down the street and what did I see in a parking lot, but motorcycles. And Harleys, at that! The owner was from Maine. Has been there since '98. He showed us around. That was totally cool. But alas, he didn't have t-shirts, so a picture will have to do. As I was sitting around my second helping at the breakfast buffet, I'm thinking, "now this is a mission trip!" In Kislovodsk, Gary and I are in the new building of the sanatorium. It is pretty nice. I especially like the fact that I have a seperate shower pan and curtain so I don't have to put the t.p. and towels outside the door to take a shower. The toilet paper is not as corse and I have a fridge in my room. I could start to feel guilty about this. But we still can't drink the water and I do have the hardship of walking up 4 flights of stairs. Gary is on the 2nd. I guess he thought I could use the excersise. Kislovodsk seems to be more cheerful in general. More people walking and smiling and generally friendly. There is new and refurbishing of buildings. Everyone has a cell phone. Definate Western and European influence. Today was our first with the kids. We have a couple, Arkady and his wife Tonnya doing music since we don't know too many Russian songs. We hope to learn some tho'. They look like fun. Gary did the story and things were going along pretty smoothly until he said "and now for craft time. Debbie will show you how to do lanyards" I'm sure I had the 'deer in the headlights'look. After the initial onslaught of kids trying to hand you theirs to start for them, they were catching on. Better than the adults. Our driver came to pick us up at 11:50. And that gives Gary and me time to write home. Not sure when the next opportunity will be. Home visits ths afternoon with a dinner at someone's house tonight. Yesterday we went to two different churches. The first was traditional Baptist and the evening one was actually a youth service, run by their young people. We took part in the games. Luba and I are quite a team. They fed us pastries and tea. Gary was telling them about street ministry and they were excited to help. So we are arranging to do that in their city as well. They are a very energetic and spiritually alive group of young people. We got excited just talking to them. Arkady found out about my motorcycle exploits and thinks it's funny for a "beautiful woman", his words, to have such a different side. He had me show my pictures to the youth. They had lots of questions. I'm trying to keep a journal so I can share stories with you all when I get back. I wish several of you could be here with me and experience all this. Maybe another time, who knows.
Lunch time. Remember, you can e-mail us through Luba's address.
Paka,
Debbie





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?