Friday, June 24, 2005

From the Field -- 3 - from Ken

From: pochta
To: Kenneth Briden
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 6:49 AM
Subject: From the Field -- 3

It was a typical Russian meeting. What more can you say?

Art, Luba, and I entered the rented room and were greeting by some 60 smiling faces and a few old grouches (but not many). It took awhile before we could get to the front of the room because so many wanted to greet us personally. In that setting, at that very moment, I forgot all about the lo-o-o-o-ng plane ride, the difficulties with raising the money, the airport waiting, the heavy suitcases, etc., etc., etc.

As Vladimir was making the introductions, many kept saying, "We know. We know." In other words, "Let's get on with it."

It was easy to speak to all those smiling faces. They were warm and receptive, and the Holy Spirit just took over. I think I referred to my notes on about the first paragraph. From then on, everything just flowed. What a wonderful feeling!! Several held up their hands to ask Jesus into their lives. Luba was ecstatic after the meeting.

"Ken, those were just the right words. They were right on the mark."

"Luba, I wish I knew what I said."

"Yeah, Ken. Me too. I wish I knew what I interpreted. I feel the Holy Spirit was at work."

Little did we know, though, that there was a spy in our midst. I wouldn't have said anything differently, but after I finished and we had a couple of prayers, then the excitement began. A lady city official approached the front of the room and said she wanted to ask a question and then she proceded to make a speech. At least she started to make a speech. She said everyone in the room was Orthodox, and I was trying to make Baptist out of them. (Of course, I never mentioned the word Baptist. That was just the worst profanity she could think of at the time.) She said no more than two sentences before she was verbally assuaulted by nearly everyone in the room. They were coming to my defense.

That's the Russian way, by the way. No worry. No problem. You are free to speak your mind as long as your mind agrees with most of the minds around you. They don't thoroughly understand freedom of speech just yet. Anyway, 95% of the room seemed to be on my side. One fellow approached the front and said that he was Muslim by birth, but, thank the Lord, he is a Christian now. He said more, but that was mainly what touched my heart. There were other positive testimonies, but I don't have the time to go into all of them. Suffice it to say, everyone wanted to express their opinion, and the lady didn't receive many positive vibes.

It was somewhat hard to restore order, but eventually the room calmed down to a semi-normal state. I tried to explain to everyone that it's okay to disagree with me. If someone can show me in Scripture where I didn't speak the truth, then I will be the first to admit it. I didn't take her objections personally. I took them with a loving attitude, because I know that lady is walking in darkness (although I didn't express that last thought out loud).

I asked Art after the meeting, "Art, what were you doing while all that ruckus was going on?"

He laughed. "I was in the back praying for you."

"Art, my friend, if you don't do another thing on this trip, you might have earned your stipes right there."

The Orthodox lady got the last word, though. The Veteran's Organization was unable to rent the room today or subsequent days. Something about they don't allow religious organization to use that room. Consequently, we met in a much smaller room today, but it's a room I love. It has a gigantic portrait of Vladimir Lenin on the wall, the Father of Communism and the one who said there is no God in heaven or anywhere else. "Religion is the opiate of the masses," Mr. Lenin stated. Well, we are telling people that there is a God right under his nose. And we are telling people just exactly what it takes to be saved -- also right under his nose. What a blessing.

Thank you so very much for those of you who donated money to buy food for these dear people. They may speak a different language, but they have the same needs as you and as I. They need to be loved. They need to feel the love of God flow from you to them.

What a mighty God we serve.

Thanks for all the e-mails. I may not have time to answer you personally, but know you are loved and appreciated. Keep those prayers coming -- for good health and a lot of energy. A personal note to my aunts: Don't worry. I'm safe, and I'll be home the middle of next month (I think).

Ken





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?