Sunday, June 19, 2005

From the field -- 1 - from Ken

From: pochta
To: Kenneth Briden
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 7:20 AM
Subject: From the field -- 1

The trip was long and arduous -- an exercise in endurance -- but 27 hours after leaving our home in Bolivar, we were safely checking into our home away from home. What can I say about the trip? Nothing. The best that can be said is, "It's over."

Saturday was a day of rest as we tried to get our body clocks turned around. It still hasn't happened, but we're working on it.

The smiles, hugs, and kisses that greeted us at the Baptist church this morning made the trip over the big water worthwhile. It is nice to be back with all our friends, brothers, and sisters in old Mother Russia.

There is a certain sameness about the Baptist church service in Kislovodsk. Promptly at 9:00 a.m. Pastor Sergei purposefully strides in from the side door followed by two or three deacons. Immediately the people jump to their feet where they wait in anticipation for the Pastor's opening remarks, the opening prayer, and the 1st congregational hymn.

The typical service ("typical" means "every" service) has three sermons, three or four choir specials, two or three poems by various parishioners (Every Russian is a poet as well), and two or three special solos or ensembles. You always pray after the 1st sermon and after the 3rd sermon, but never after the 2nd sermon. I was asked to preach the second sermon today, and I found it very ironic that I came on the Day of Pentacost. I came speaking in an unknown tongue, and only Luba had the gift of interpretation. (Does anyone know why we don't celebrate the Day of Pentecost in most American churches? It is a VERY big holiday over here.)

Once the service began, there were few smiles to be seen. I injected some humor into my sermon, and the people responded well, but humor from the pulpit is not typical Russian. (That may be one reason why I am received so warmly here. It would be impossible for me to speak without some levity now and then.) The Pastor has an almost total control over the people. Why not? What other choices do the people have? There are no other protestant churches in the city. Unfortunately, they have no real joy and freedom in their faith, but they have an abundance of passion. During my time in the pulpit, the people were very attentive. An older gentlemen was trying to adjust the sound system while I was speaking, and it squacked several times. I thought the people were going to attack him. He stopped fooling around with the sound system before the revolution began.

I know that when you go into another culture, you adjust to that culture and not vice versa, but there are certain corners I have difficulty turning. Fortunately none of the guys that greeted me this morning had mustaches. I don't kiss guys with mustaches.

We have a full schedule of preparing for the rest of the team that comes on Friday. Please keep us in prayer: for health, safety, and that we would have a fruitful mission, proclaiming the Gospel boldly and in truth.
Ken





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?